Lunches can be the bane of every day- there never seems to be enough time in the morning to make something, and most of the sandwiches and salads are, well, boring. However, it doesn’t have to be this way- you can have awesome, easy lunches that keep you going until your work is done.
1. Thanksgiving Wraps – the everyday, ho-hum workday lunch staple gets a makeover. Based on an extremely popular wrap from the now-closed cult favorite Lobos Grille in Key West, this wrap will bring the best of Thanksgiving all year round. Stuffing mix and jellied cranberry sauce make it super simple. Mix cranberry sauce with mayonnaise, and spread on a wrap. Then layer with rotisserie turkey (or chicken) and lettuce. Add your stuffing, and gravy if desired (premade or homemade). Nom nom.
2. Jar Salad – one of the easiest and most versatile lunches: your favorite green salad mix, topped with leftover cooked pasta or grains, and cherry tomatoes or roasted red peppers. (Or change it up with your choice of veggie toppers!) Bring dressing in a small jar or plastic container to keep the salad fresh.
3. Superfood Salad – yes, it’s about kale and quinoa. Again. There’s a reason you keep hearing about these two powerhouses. Not only do all of these superstar ingredients provide nutrients, they actually taste great. Bursting with the newest, hippest super foods this salad is crazy. good. That’s right, you’ll actually want to eat this salad, and it’s so easy: kale comes prewashed and ready to go. Just add cooked quinoa, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, and diced pineapple.
4. French Pizzette – Wolfgang Puck, step aside- this homemade pizzette is so simple, you’ll have no problem making it the night before. Then it’s just a quick reheat at lunch for a delicious, elegant meal that will make your coworkers stare. Premade pizza crusts are topped with tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella slices, sun-dried tomatoes and crumbled feta or chèvre cheese. Baked at 400 for 12 minutes until crunchy and bubbling, it might be difficult setting aside for lunch the next day. Better make two!
5. Tuna and Cabbage Sаlаd – tuna salad over cabbage makes for an interesting twist on this classic. Take it up another notch with an Asian sesame dressing, and mandarin orange segments.
6. Mediterranean Potato Sаlаd – the traditional potato salad gets updated with Italian and Greek flavors. Cube and boil three pounds of yellow or red роtаtоеѕ, until tender. Slice prosciutto ham (or substitute with regular ham or bacon). Add the ham to the potatoes along with ріttеd Kаlаmаtа olives, diced ѕhаllоtѕ, lemon juice, and оlіvе oil. Finish with salt, pepper, and parsley or thyme to taste.
7. Pita Chicken Gyro – this is as easy as stuffing a pita pocket with shredded rotisserie chicken, lettuce, diced tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce (which can be purchased in the deli areas of most grocery stores).
8. Hummus and Radish Sandwich – a simple, basic sandwich requires good bakery bread- just spread with hummus, add thinly sliced radishes and finish with salt and pepper. Healthy and delicious couldn’t be easier with this sandwich.
9. Pasta salad – any precooked or leftover pasta will work, though for a new spin try tortellini. Mix with mayonnaise, cubed ham, cheese, and your favorite veggies. This lunch will keep you completely satisfied until dinner- no more 3 pm crash!
10. Balsamic Chicken and Rice Salad – Shred rotisserie or baked chicken, and mix with balsamic vinaigrette until moist. Cook minute rice to package directions, and add in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place salad in a container, top with rice and chicken. Finish with additional balsamic vinaigrette to taste.
You don’t have be stuck in the lunch rut. Break free and make these healthy, homemade meals. New ingredients and flavors will keep you excited, and these lunches are so simple you’ll wonder why you waited so long to try them.